HKHAUS 18-19 Circular No. 7 - Reminder to All Umpires
To: All Umpires
cc: Convenors of Affiliated Club’s (Men’s, Women’s and Youth)
HKHA Council Members
HKHA Section Committee Members
Here are some reminders to our umpires.
- Umpires must equip themselves with correct EQUIPMENTS, including Stop watch (NOT mobile phone), Fox40 Whistle, cards, pen and paper, official umpire shirt, dark pants/shorts/skirts, trainers.
- Umpires MUST NOT use their mobile phone during the game (including the use of Bluetooth headset / ear piece that is connected to the mobile phone or any other audio devices). Such act will result in an automatic and minimum suspension of 2 months. We will ask team captains to monitor this for the Umpires Section and it is important to remember that if umpires want to be respected, we must first respect the players and ensure we are doing our best for each game.
- As reminded in our refresher courses, if BODY CONTACT is made between players from the opposite team due to the act of sliding, a 10-minute YELLOW card MUST be issued. So far there are still some umpires (especially in the lower divisional games) not giving a yellow card for collision due to sliding. This is a very clear cut issue which umpires must follow our instruction in order to protect our players.
- Umpires MUST arrive on the pitch at least 10 minutes before their appointment and always have a pre-match talk with your umpiring partner for the game.
- Umpires MUST check players’ identity before the game. Team captains have the right to request personal ID from umpires so we should always carry a mean of identity and be willing to show to captains if asked.
- Umpires MUST NOT start the match until they can login their umpire page to check the respective match card. They will not find the match card until both team captains submitted their player lists. In case of any delay start of the match due to late submission of player lists, umpires should shorten the match time to ensure the next match can start on time. Both umpires have to input the penalty cards, if any, and scores (Umpire 1 only) after the completion of the match and submit the match card. This is equivalent to signing of the paper match card by the umpires in the past. If you have problems logging in, please contact the HKHA office for assistance.
- Reminder on Two-Minute Green Card
- In case of no “Technical Table” or MO (D1 to D6 matches), the umpire can stop time to issue a green card and record time and player’s number.
- After 2 minutes of playing time, the carded player is called back on.
- Player MUST wait for the umpire’s signal before they can return to the field.
- Carded player MUST NOT be returned during a PC. (To be reviewed again at the end of this season due to change of FIH’s regulation)
- In case of Goalkeepers, return MUST be done at break of play with the clock stop.
- Reminder on “One Person” Rule
- During a match, in order to avoid potential “surrounding” of umpires, umpires should use the “One Person” signal to indicate to approaching players that only ONE player will be allowed to approach in a “calm & respectful” manner.
- If ignored, umpires are asked to issue an immediate GREEN CARD to the “2nd Player” approaching.
- If anymore player(s) ignored after the initial green card has been issued above, umpires are to stop time and issue a YELLOW CARD to the captain of the team.
HKHA – Umpires Section